Starting from Friday, the Indian women’s hockey team will take to the field in Ranchi, Jharkhand, to compete for the Women’s Asian Champions Trophy 2023. They will face teams from the People’s Republic of China, the Republic of Korea, Japan, Malaysia, and Thailand. All the matches of the Women’s Asian Champions Trophy’s seventh season will be played at the Marang Gomke Jaypal Singh AstroTurf Hockey Stadium in Ranchi.
For hockey fans in India, you can catch the live streaming and broadcasts of the matches in this tournament. Let’s explain how you can do that.
The Indian women’s hockey team is currently ranked seventh in the world, making them the highest-ranked team in Asia. The next best Asian team is China’s women’s hockey team, which is ranked tenth in the world. China secured a gold medal in the 2023 Asian Games held in Hangzhou, where they qualified for the Paris 2024 Olympics, while India clinched a bronze medal. China defeated India 4-0 in the semi-final match held in Hangzhou. The two teams will meet face to face on Monday.
In the Asian Games, the Indian women’s team won a bronze medal, losing to Japan 2-1 in the bronze medal match. Japan is currently ranked 11th in the world, just behind China. South Korea, on the other hand, is ranked 12th globally. The Indian women will kick off their campaign by playing against Thailand, ranked 29th in the world, on Friday. They will face Malaysia, ranked 18th in the world, in their second match on Saturday.
At the end of the league stage of the Asian Champions Trophy, the top four teams will qualify for the semi-finals. India is hosting the Women’s Asian Champions Trophy for the first time. The previous season was hosted in Donghae, South Korea, in 2021, where Japan clinched the title by defeating the home team in the final.
In this tournament, India has made it to the finals three times – in 2013, 2016, and 2018 – but managed to win it only once in 2016 by defeating China in the final. In 2010, the team secured third place.
How to Watch Hockey Matches
The live streaming of the Women’s Asian Champions Trophy 2023 will be available on Sony Liv. You can download the app or visit its website to watch the matches. If you prefer to watch the matches on television, please note that Sony Sports Ten 5 and Sony Sports Ten 5 HD will broadcast these matches.
- October 27, Friday: Japan vs. Malaysia at 4:00 PM, China vs. South Korea at 6:15 PM, India vs. Thailand at 8:30 PM.
- October 28, Saturday: Japan vs. South Korea at 4:00 PM, Thailand vs. China at 6:15 PM, India vs. Malaysia at 8:30 PM.
- October 30, Monday: South Korea vs. Malaysia at 4:00 PM, Thailand vs. Japan at 6:15 PM, China vs. India at 8:30 PM.
- October 31, Tuesday: South Korea vs. Thailand at 4:00 PM, Malaysia vs. China at 6:15 PM, India vs. Japan at 8:30 PM.
- November 2, Thursday: Malaysia vs. Thailand at 4:00 PM, China vs. Japan at 6:15 PM, India vs. South Korea at 8:30 PM.
- November 4, Saturday: Fifth/Sixth Place Classification Match at 3:30 PM, Semifinal 1 at 6:00 PM, Semifinal 2 at 8:30 PM.
- November 5, Sunday: Bronze Medal Match at 6:00 PM, Final at 8:30 PM.