No forfeiture, ‘negotiations taking place’ over future course: BCCI VP Rajeev Shukla

Rajeev Shukla, Vice-President of Board of Control for Cricket in India in India (BCCI), said Friday that negotiations with the ECB are ongoing to resolve the issue surrounding the cancellation of the Manchester Test.

The fifth and last Test between England and India was canceled Friday by the England and Wales Cricket Board. It had been announced by the ECB that India could not take the field following the COVID-19 cases within the camp.

Shukla said to ANI, “After extensive consultations between BCCI President and BCCI Secretary-Treasurer, me, Joint Secretary, along with the ECB Chairman & CEO and in consultations avec players, captain and senior players it was decided that this Test match, which was slated for Manchester, would be called off.”

The BCCI vice-president stated that India had not forfeited this Test.

“And other facts you know, further negotiations with ECB continue to resolve the entire issue amicably. Shukla said that the match will not be forfeited, but it was only called off.

Shukla responded to a question about whether the final Test could be played on a later date.

The cancellation was made after Yogesh Parmar (physio) had tested positive for COVID-19. There were concerns that the infection could spread to the match, which was canceled just hours before it started.

The England and Wales Cricket Board had initially issued a statement that explicitly mentioned the word “forfeit”, but it was removed later from a revised media release.

India currently leads India 2-1. However, they have not been declared the winners. This is because India could play the fifth Test during the window in July next year when the team visits the country for a six-match white-ball series.