A fire broke out at Ather Energy’s Chennai experience centre for electric scooters as EV fires continue making headlines.
The company tweeted that there had been a minor fire in its Chennai premises.
“While some property and scooters were affected, thankfully all employees remain safe and everything is under control. The EV company stated late on Friday that the experience centre would be operational within a few hours.
However, it did not disclose the cause of the fire. The company was still waiting for the report of local fire brigade officials.
Ather Energy made headlines for a fire incident, the first time Ather Energy has been in the news. Several top EV gamers are under investigation by the government for battery explosions and fire incidents throughout the country.
A Hero Photon Electric scooter from Odisha caught on fire while being charged. The scooter was partially damaged in the incident.
“When the customer was contacted, he stated that he heard strange crackling sounds. He discovered that fumes were coming off the electric switchboard at his home, adjacent the e-scooter, and sparks were continually falling onto the ground and a can paint lying nearby,” the company stated.
It added, “By the moment he went to switch off mains and get back in to try to put out the fire, it spread to the rear of the scooter as well as some household belongings.”
EV makers like Pure EV and Okinawa were involved in previous EV fire incidents.
Currently, a government panel investigating EV fire incidents will submit its report next Wednesday.
The Defence Research & Development Organisation (DRDO) that was tasked with investigating EV fire incidents by the Union Road Transport and Highways Ministry, has found serious defects in the batteries, including designs of the battery packs and modules.
These defects are caused by electric two-wheeler manufacturers such as Okinawa Autotech and Pure EV using “lower-grade material to reduce costs”.
The Ministry has received the fact-finding report from the Centre for Fire, Explosive and Environment Safety at the DRDO.
After their April explosion, Pure EV and Boom Motors received notices from the Central Consumer Protection Authority, (CCPA) which falls under the Union Consumer Affairs Ministry.
Consumer watchdog will also be looking into more cases of escooter fires, and will issue similar notices to other EV manufacturers.